New Student FAQ’s
What are the Middle School State Mandated promotion rules for sixth, seventh and eighth grade?
Middle school students are required to successfully complete three years each of language arts, mathematics, science, social studies including the successful completion of a civics course in order to be promoted to grade 9 (F.S 1003.4156).
Students in grades 6-8 will be required to take one semester of physical education each year as well as one semester of a student selected elective. In addition, all 6th grade students are required to take one-semester of health that will be paired with their research course.
Physical education may be waived for students for the following criteria:
- The student is enrolled or required to enroll in a remedial course;
- The parent requests that the student enroll in another elective course offered by the school if available at that grade level; or
- The student is participating in physical activities outside the school day, which are equal to or in excess of the mandated requirement.
What are the Raven Claws (Schoolwide Expectations)?
- Be Responsible
- Be on time
- Be prepared
- Stay on task
- Be Respectful
- Follow directions
- Keep hands and feet to self
- Use appropriate voice and language
- Be a Problem Solver
- Seek assistance from a teacher if there is a problem
- Avoid confrontations
- Compromise with others
Will I have class with the same students during the day?
Classes are randomly assigned to students from Oakstead Elementary, Bexley Elementary and Sanders Memorial Elementary. Classes and teams are randomly assigned to students. As students make selections regarding the level of courses and their electives, classes are assigned according to availability.
What time does school Start?
What time are students allowed to enter the building?
What time does school end?
Do students have to change clothes for PE?
All students who take P.E. will need to wear shorts, , a t-shirt, and sneakers (shorts and t-shirt must be different from what is worn to school that day) Dressing out is one of the requirements for P.E. Failure to dress out will affect your grade.
Are there lockers?
Only students who are assigned to P.E. will be able to have access to lockers for their clothes. There is a rental fee of $9.00 due during the first week of class.
Will 7th and 8th graders be in the same hallway as 6th graders?
Most of the 6th grade classes are located on the first floor and in the portable buildings. The majority of the 7th grade classes are located on the 2nd floor, and the 8th grade classes are on the 3rd floor. Most of the electives are located on the first and second floors for students. In addition, due to the higher number of 6th grade students, all 8th grade teachers will teach one-section of 6th grade; therefore, some 6th grade students will be assigned teams that are in the 8th grade hallway.
How much time is there for passing between periods?
Students will have three-minutes to pass from one class to the next. Most of the classes are near each other; therefore students will have time to get a drink and/or use the restroom.
How much are lunches?
Regularly priced breakfast is $1.50
Regularly priced lunch is $3.00
Can I sit wherever I want during lunch?
6th graders will sit with their class in the beginning of the year. Students must raise their hands to leave their table. Students are encouraged to use the restroom before returning to class from lunch.
How many teachers will I have?
Most students will have six different teachers.
How can I be successful in 6th grade math?
Most math teachers assign homework each night, so it is very important to be organized and have a homework routine at home.
Memorize times tables (multiplication up to 12×12).
What skills should I practice in Reading and Language Arts?
Students are encouraged to read at least 30 minutes every day.
Students will be required to read books of different genres during the school year.
Also, practice your handwriting skills (print and cursive).
How can I stay organized?
Students are responsible for writing all homework assignments in a planner. Most 6th grade teachers write assignments on the board.
What is the dress code?
- Sexually implicit or explicit clothing, bikini, tank tops, leggings and spandex clothing are not appropriate.
- Students may wear shorts and skirts, as long as they are of modest length, no more than 4” above the knee (even if worn with pants/leggings).
- Students’ clothing shall be worn securely at the waist.
- No abdomen, undergarments or skin to be exposed.
- Blouses, shirts and sweaters cannot dip below a line formed between the left and right armpit.
- Muscle shirts and tank tops are not permitted. Tops must have cloth beyond the shoulder seam.
- Students shall not wear hats or head covering on school campus unless previously approved for medical or religious reasons or special school activities designated by the principal.
- Students shall wear shoes for foot protection and hygienic reasons while on school grounds or on school transportation. Slippers, slides or flip-flops are not acceptable. Shoes must be secure around the heel.
- Decorations, symbols, mottos or designs imprinted or attached to the body or clothing which are offensive to good taste or maintenance to decorum or which advertise tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or which identify them as members of secret antisocial groups or gangs shall not be worn to school or school functions.
The principal, or designee, shall determine the appropriateness of dress and appearance. The principal’s decision on the appropriateness of dress is final.
What sports are 6th graders allowed to join?
6th graders are allowed to try-out for the same after school sports as 7th and 8th graders.
They must have all the appropriate paperwork completed prior to participation.
Check out the sports pages by going to the Athletics tab at the top of the page (in the teal bar). Each team has a page under the Sports Schedule in the menu.
All Year: Cheerleading
Fall Sports (1st Quarter): Volleyball, Football
Winter Sports (2nd Quarter): Boys Soccer, Girls Basketball
Spring Sports (3rd Quarter): Girls Soccer, Boys Basketball
Spring Sports (4th Quarter): Track & Field
What clubs are available to 6th graders?
Clubs will be announced at lunchtime and are subject to change
- Check our Club Page to find out more about what clubs are offered.
If you have further questions that are not covered here, please email your 6th grade school counselor.